Monday, September 30, 2013

The 12 Days of Camping... (Part 1)

I left off last post with a teaser...
We found out sometime in June that 
the hubs would have to be in the Asheville area
for 2 weeks in a row,
due to a conference,
and then a class.

This family NEVER misses an opportunity 
to head to the western part of this state.

My job was to find us a place to stay.
Not sure if you guys have heard, 
but we have a family of 6!
Finding inexpensive lodging
for a family of 6 is a JOKE!

When I vacation,
I have NO desire to spend
a ton of money on food 
and lodging...
I would rather spend my money 
on fun stuff that we wouldn't 
normally get to do.

My goal was to find a place
that we would all not be 
smooshed into living quarters with 
only ONE room 
for 12 days
AND
where the kids could have a safe outdoor space
without me being right on top of them
AND 
where I could prepare meals
(cause I refuse to eat out 
every.single.meal
while traveling - 
for the sake of
our health
and
our finances)

So after 
hunting
and
hunting
and 
hunting...

I started to think that
we weren't going to accompany
the hubs on the trip
due to the amount we would have
to pay just on lodging...
I was NOT interested!

We had been talking about 
getting a camper for a while
but really hadn't had a
real "need" 
for it.

It would have been nice,
but we couldn't really justify it.

My mother-in-law owns a camper
and she agreed to let us borrow it.

So we drove up to Virginia Beach,
spent the weekend with her
in her camper
at the campground she is a member of.
Her's sleeps 6.
The hubs slept in a tent
both nights we were there.

I couldn't see spending 12 days
like that
especially since 
the hubs was there for 
WORK!

But,
we were willing to try it.

So we brought it home with us.
(3+ hours)

Once we got it in the driveway,
I started looking on Craigslist
just for kicks
to see what I could find.

Low and behold,
there were 2 on there that
were EXACTLY
what we were looking for.
That would fit our family
PERFECTLY!

So,
we bit the bullet
and bought one!

We weren't taking 
the other one back until we had
ours in the driveway,
I would have hated for us
to have nothing
for the trip.

So we finally picked ours up
on a Thursday night,
then the hubs 
took his mom's
back to her on Friday.
Came back Saturday morning
bright and early.

Then the following Tuesday
we left on our adventure!

And an adventure it was!!

The class and conference 
were not in the same city.

In fact,
they were an hour apart.

So we couldn't stay at the same spot the whole time.
So we went campground hopping!

We also only took one car,
so that was another interesting part to the trip.

Not knowing what exactly I was getting into...
I packed our school books. 
Just in case we were stuck in the camper
and needed something to fill our time.

Hahahah!!

I did not grow up camping.
But I have "camped" 
in my grandmother's 
somewhat permanent camper
at Myrtle Beach
quite a few times.

I have stayed in my mother-in-law's
a couple of times,
we went camping with friends a few years ago
in something similar to what we now own.

Tent camped a handful or so times.

I was confident I could do it...
but 12 days?!?!?!
TWELVE DAYS???
With 4 kids under 10??
Almost by myself
because the hubs was again...
there on WORK!

Ugh!
What was I getting myself into??

I can't wait to tell you
and
show you!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment