Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What Have We Been Doing???

We have been busy!!!

We have had such a good time
while up here.

the most exciting thing during out trip,
happened 2 weeks ago today!!

I needed to get the kids
out of the house a bit,
for everyone's sake.

I had a couple of passes to 
one of those inflatable bounce places
leftover from when we lived here.
So we quickly did some of our basic
school work
(on the back deck cause we could),

and the littles got to play a bit while we were working...
must be nice to be little.

I packed snacks,
and we headed out.

We got there around 11ish
Mr. T wasn't really sure what to think,
so it took him a bit to warm up.
That was fine though,
because R had 
putzed around that morning
while J was doing school 
so he had to sit and work on his
math for a bit.

I finally gave in & let him go play,
I wanted to make sure I got
my money's worth!

The place was pretty much empty 
so I let the older two do their thing and
Mr T was starting to warm up...
I had just convinced him, 
that the neat little toddler one
at the front was ok to go in
it wasn't going to eat him...

Then R comes RUNNING to the front,
'Mommy, J is hurt, he needs you!
He just keeps saying "Go get Mommy, go get Mommy!!"

So I told R to stay with the littles and I ran to J.
As soon as I got to him I KNEW
he had broken his arm
(right above his wrist).

So I called my mom and told her 
"I need you here NOW.
J broke his arm!"

Luckily we were only about 7 minutes from my folks house.

I did my best to reassure and calm my broken baby
(fighting the urge to just hold and rock him and cry!).
As I hurriedly got shoes on the littles and got them 
strapped in the stroller so I could focus on J.

I packed all of our other stuff up
then left J inside with the make shift splint I had requested
and instructed the staff on how to apply while I was
trying to deal with the other 3.

(after they cut if off, I am thankful I was able to
think and realize this was required!)

I got the others in the car right as my mom was pulling in.
So I left her loading up the other 3
and off J and I went to the ER.
We called daddy on the way...
I was calm and wound up having to leave a message.
He texted back and asked me to call when we could.
We called him on the walk into the ER
just so daddy could talk to J.
I know it was TORTURE
on my husband
not being there with us for that.

Luckily there wasn't a wait at the ER,
so we went right on back.
I then called my bestie
(who just happens to work as an ER nurse 
AT that hospital
and lives about 3 minutes away)

She showed up and helped me through it!
The nurses blew out two veins trying to get a
line in to him!
Momma & J were NOT happy campers...
Finally the best nurse in the world
(well second best)
came in and literally
hooked him right up!

Once we got some drugs in him,
he relaxed quite a bit.

Here he is post drugs watching
SpongeBob -
mommy detests! SpongeBob,
but I figured I could manage
and his brain wouldn't rot any
since he was doped up anyways.

Then we had to get x-rays

wait for ortho.

(yeah - your arm is NOT supposed to look like this!)

At this point, things were kinda
calming down and my bestie
had to work that night,
so I thanked her
and told her how much I loved her
and how she was just the best
and that I could probably handle it from here.

She said she would hang out for a bit more,
then she would leave.
We had been informed that they would
have to sedate him to
"set" the bone.

A short time later,
our ER nurse came in to hook the monitors up to him,

(he was able to squeeze out a sudo-smile for mommy)

then in came the nurse tech to monitor the monitors,
then the respiratory therapist came in,

she hooked him up to oxygen.

then the ortho pulls in this contraption
(xray machine on wheels)
then the ER doc...
So we had a ROOM FULL!

Me and my bestie crept into a corner...
then I was told I couldn't stay in there after they sedated him
So my bestie,
watching everything that was going on,
quietly attempted to usher me out.
I resisted,
then she insisted.

I wanted to hang out by the door,
but she wouldn't let me...
she walked me back into the family waiting area
of the ER
we sunk into a couch and I just sunk into her.

Then I thanked her again for staying,
she smiled and informed me
that she had intentionally stayed for that part,
because she knew it was going to be hard on me.

I will say that through out the entire day,
I held it together pretty well,
I almost cried twice,
but was able to hold it together.

Some people might think
"Over a broken arm??"
none of my family,
daredevil husband included,
has had a broken arm...
or a broken anything
besides finger or hand...
or toe...

So this was all new to me!
And at the end of the day,
that all we have had to deal with thus far...
with 4 kids,
is a single broken arm!

My sweet boy did PHENOMENAL!!

We were able to go back in as they were finishing up.

Then they woke him up
and cleared the room.

He drifted in and out for a bit,
and I went up to him to comfort him and let him
know I was there when he opened his eyes once.
He acknowledged me
and then informed me
that I had four eyes!
My bestie laughed and caught a picture of that!

They wrapped his arm up pretty good due to the location
and type of break.

He was happy when we were finally able to head
back to Nana & Papa's.

(doesn't he look excited here?)

(I PROMISE he is not that doped up still!
My camera and the kids just don't seem to
function at the right time - I am FOREVER
getting them blinking!)

And my poor husband was really upset
that he was 1500 miles away...
It was tough on all of us.

We Skyped Daddy that night just so J
could see daddy's face.

We decided that one of the positives of breaking
your arm was you got more attention

(your older brother will entertain you while you take a bath)

and more mommy time...

(my sweet broken boy)

He got to sleep with mommy and was greeted with
"ruff ruff"
when we got home.
Yes my 6 yo still has a lovie...
nana bought it for him at the hospital
when he was born.
And it has been LOVED!

we met with the ortho
J got his "real" cast.

(not sure what's up with the funny face)

Mommy got prime real estate on the cast!
I let him choose where I could sign...

And we have saved a spot right next to mine for daddy!

We also found out that the type of break
and location of the break are
VERY unstable.
So it could quite possibly move...
which means surgery!
So I was informed to put him in
as much of a bubble as I can.
Um yeah!
He is a 6 yo boy,
with an 8 yo brother
(who helped get him this broken arm
I am SURE!)

J is a fall risk...
so there goes most of the other fun things
we had planned for our trip...

But we can't stay cooped up in the house
for the next 4 weeks...

And we haven't...
It hasn't slowed us down much!

1 comment:

  1. Poor,brave little J. Lucy still needs to sign his red cast!