Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer Fun!! - Hunting Wabbits

So now that we are "back home"...
what are we doing?
 
Well,
I do believe,
that we have seen at least 1 member
of my family
(mostly my mom)
every. single. weekend.
since we have been home.
 
It dawned on me this past Saturday,
as we made a trip to Fuquay
(to deal with the house up there)
that this was going to be the
first weekend,
that I hadn't seen my mom...
since we'd been home.
That was ok,
it was just a realization...
then
when we got out of church on Sunday,
the hubs got a text from my mom
asking us what we were doing for lunch...
by the time we called her back,
she and my dad were already on their way down!
SURPRISE!!
 
So quick review:
 
We arrived on Friday, April 26th,
movers were here Saturday, April 27th.
My mom & sis & niece spent the night April 27th.
Loads of unpacking occurred.
 
Hubs started his job Tuesday, April 30th
(less than a week after his final day in Texas)
 
The first "official" weekend here,
we unpacked Saturday,
then Sunday
we had gotten tickets to a
Cinderella play
being put on at the local theater.
When we got there,
we discovered it was a ballet
and it was all kids!!
It was adorable!

A few days later,
my guys got this wild hair...
they wanted to attempt to catch a
wait for it...
wild hare.
Oh, my...
yep,
I did just do that.

Anyhoo...
we have this great back yard.
With a wonderful string of bird feeders
hung between two trees.
We LOVE watching the birds out of our window.
We also seem to get quite a few bunnies
hopping through our yard.
And let me just tell you.
All of the kids
(young and old)
get SO excited when we see a bunny!

So my oldest,
asked my husband...
Dad, if we catch a bunny,
can we keep it?

My husband,
not totally realizing what he was saying...
said YES!

I looked at him like he had just told
our child the sun was purple!

What did you just agree to?!?!?!

So,
the plotting
and
figuring
and
engineering
and
designing
began.

These two boys,
9 & 7
talked the entire rest of dinner about
how they were going to build a trap.

I sat and listened
to their ideas and logic
and offered
NO assistance,
cause what,
pray tell,
were we going to do if they
actually caught one of these
silly things?!?!?

Amazingly,
my 7 yo,
came up with a logical idea
and plan!
I looked at him
and said,
"where'd you get that idea from?"
...
TV!
ah, yes...
of course.

As their plan was coming more
and more into focus...
the hubs quickly starts back pedaling.
Hahah!
And he decided that if they,
somehow,
managed to catch a wabbit.
That we would keep it for a couple of days,
and then set it free again.
Because it was a wild creature after all,
and it would miss its mommy & daddy
or its wife/husband and kids.
Phew!
Thank you sweetie!

So after dinner,
they ran outside and got to work on
implementing their plan.

 Rico reassembled a moving box...
 
Then they got to work...

 
This was their first attempt:



 
Then once the realized that there was no way for the
box to fall on the bunny once it was in there...
 
They tried this:

 




 
They had two strings attached to the
sticks holding the box up.
Then they were going to sit out there
til the bunny showed up
and
then pull the sticks out.
 
Then when mom & dad told them that
the bunny wasn't going to show up with them sitting right there...
they had to come up with another way to make the box fall.
 
On their own,
the figured that they needed to tie the string to the carrot.
 
So daddy & I helped with that part.
 
Later that evening...
the box was down!
 
Daddy and I just looked at each other...
luckily...
the box was empty!
 
The next day it fell a couple more times
and thankfully...
each time it was empty!
 
But they gave it a GREAT try...
thankfully...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment