Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NC Trip: The Long Haul Back to Texas (Part 3)

After a long sleepless Halloween night...
we got up on November 1st 
loaded up in Asheville
hit the road again.

That drive down I-40, 
literally THROUGH 
the mountains,
I have no words.
I love it
(have I mentioned that before?)

We had to make a quick pit stop
and for those
that have not travelled this stretch 
of highway...
there aren't too many places to stop!
But when a kid has to potty
you gotta stop!

So we found the 
first place we could to stop at.
The restrooms were outside
and NOT heated.
And we had just left snow...
so it was a chilling experience!

They did have some snacks,
so we got some.
We grabbed stuff to add to 
the food I had packed for our lunch.
A couple of chicken tenders,
fried jalapenos,
beef jerky
two small containers 
of boiled peanuts.
One for me
one for R,
since one one else liked them.
(lots of healthy stuff!)

Loaded back up
I am not sure how it happened,
but I got all of about 2
boiled peanuts!
I don't remember letting them
"try" my peanuts...
but somehow they decided they 
liked them...

This time I really enjoyed
the drive through Tennessee.
When my mom & I drove through
the year before,
it was 
just yucky...
so I didn't get to enjoy the scenery.
It was much different this time.

We decided we like the looks of Knoxville
a LOT!

We kept on moving
and started planning 
our next stop...
and I like to find 
to do,
not just stop
on the side of the road 
or at a rest stop
(if I can help it).

So thanks to TripAdvisor.com,
we decided to stop in Nasheville.


There were a couple of places
that were recommended,
but we opted for

It looked like it had
lots of neat stuff
to look at
of room to run!!

For starters,
Nashville has its own
I am not really sure,
but if you are really interested,
 you can read about it

It was closed while they were getting ready for a 
so we didn't get to go inside,
but we did climb the steps
and walk around it.

Then we walked
(well ran)
over to the park on the grounds.

Ms. Priss didn't do this by herself...
daddy was just out of the frame of the picture.
Notice Mr. T at the bottom right...

He was waiting for his big brother to come
and help him out.  

I am pretty sure the hand on the right of this
picture belongs to me.  
So for once, I wasn't taking pictures!

Then we saw this...

Mr. T went nuts!

And the boys wanted to climb on it,
but of course there were
"No Climbing" 
signs posted all over it.

And they had a real jet on display too.

It was a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

We hopped BACK in the car...
we kept going.
And started discussing our next stop.
We love BBQ
and have always heard 
about Memphis style BBQ.

Again, I consulted 

I wanted to make sure we went somewhere
"semi" on the way...
and not completely across
town from the highway we were on.

We decided on

It was good,
but we were not really impressed.
Mr. T did literally
suck all the flavor off the ribs.

He cleaned them off good!

After dinner,
daddy was feeling good,
the kids were full and tired...
so we decided just to drive
and see how far we could get.

I attempted to keep on top of how he was
feeling since we didn't have a hotel lined up.
I can't remember what time we finally stopped,
I think it was close to midnight (if not after).

We made it into Texarkana.
But we stayed on the Arkansas side,
so we didn't QUITE make it 
through Tennessee & Arkansas
in the same day.

We checked in and unloaded AGAIN
The funny part was.
When we got in the car that morning,
we left bitterly cold,
almost snow weather.

When we stopped for the night,
we were DEFINITELY back in Texas.
It was HOT!

R & daddy unloaded,
I attempted to get the littles into the hotel with
minimum wakage...
it didn't work.
They were bright eyed and bushy tailed!

We had a time getting them to go back to sleep!

Since they are still rather short,
we can fit 3 to a bed 
we rotate them 90°
and they sleep across the bed.

Mr. T did sleep in the playpen,
but when he climbed into 
bed with the other 3
I couldn't resist snapping a quick pic.

Loaded BACK up again the next morning,
after breakfast.
Mr. T and daddy had a stand-off...

Guess who won that one.  

Then again,
back into the car.

We booked on through Texas
and wound up stuck in 5pm traffic in Austin.

Poor R was so ready to get out of the car.
He was begging for us to stop.
Just so he could get out.
But daddy and I were SOOOOO
ready to get home,
we kept asking him why he wanted to stop.
He was plain tired of being in the car.
Tired of sitting
tired of riding
just tired!

We all were...
we convinced him that we only had an hour left,
so we really just needed to keep going.
If we stopped,
we would have to get back in the car
to get home,
so we decided we would just power through.

When we FINALLY arrived home.  
The FIRST thing Ms. Priss did...

No joke!!

No comments:

Post a Comment