Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Food - My New Favorite Pumpkin Pies!!


The 5th and final item
on my Thanksgiving cooking list
was
some yummy pumpkin pies!
 (that you can barely see in this 
picture of my little man,
raiding the Chex Mix 
- and all of the other pictures from the 
Chex Mix post)



I made 3 of them!
One or two of which are 
currently sitting in my outside freezer 
waiting to be eaten!!
For years I have used the recipe 
on the back of the 
Pet Milk can.

but this year,
a sweet friend brought over 
a pie pumpkin
and 
we made some
pumpkin pies one afternoon,
just because...
(post-Halloween, pre-Thanksgiving)

I have always gotten rave reviews
from my Pet Milk pumpkin pies...
but these pies...
the ones that I was introduced to...
I am not sure if it was because it was
straight out of the oven
or what...
but they were INSANE!
And between
me and my 4 youngins
and 
she and her 2 youngins
we ate an entire pie!
Doesn't really sound that impressive
when I put it that way...
8 of us ate an entire pie...
it seemed way more impressive the day it happened.

I am not sure where this originate either,
but it was from a website...
so if I find it,
I will happily give credit,
but for now,
I will name it after
she who introduced me to it!
Sherry's Pumpkin Pie

1 9" deep dish pie crust
1 1/2 c pumpkin (or 1/2 cooked pie pumpkin)
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
(or ~2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 c corn syrup
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

(1)
Preheat oven to 350°.
(2)
Combine flour and brown sugar.
(3)
Add brown sugar mixture & heavy cream to prepared pumpkin.
(4)
Mix in salt & spices.
(5)
Beat in corn syrup with a mixer.
(6)
Add eggs and vanilla - mix some more.
(7)
Pour filling into unbaked pie shell.
(8)
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
*Check after 30 minutes,
it crust is getting brown, loosely top with foil,
then remove for final 10 minutes of cooking
*Pie is done, when inserted knife comes out clean
or
if only the center jiggles when you lightly shake the pie.
(yep, that's a real thing!)

(9)
After pie has cooled slightly,
resist the urge to sit down 
with the entire pie
and a SPOON
and eat by yourself!

*Thanks for introducing this one to us Sherry!!

This was a TOTAL

HIT!!!

Final talley from 
what I personally cooked for
our Thankgiving feast this year!

HITS - 3
Turkey
Pumpkin Pies
Chex Mix
MISSES - 2
Upside Down Pecan Pie
Butter Pecan Cake

Totally counts as a win to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment