Friday, April 4, 2014

Craft Corner - Hurricane Wine Glass Vases

Huh?

Is that really a thing?
Hurricane Wine Glass Vases?

They are now!

My middle sister turned the big 3-0 this year!
So did her husband (5 days later)
So the families got together and planned
a big combo surprise party.

We wanted to keep it somewhat 
non-Christmas-y
yet sparkly
and 
guy-y.

Huh?

Their birthdays are on either side of 
Christmas
the 22nd and 27th of December.
So their birthdays always seemed to get
mixed up with Christmas.

I decided to hit her 
Pinterest board for ideas
for decorations
and 
presents!

I came up with this idea based on something
I saw on her Pinterest board
and 
the fact that she is a wine drinker too.

So again,
thanks to Pinterest
and
the Dollar Store...
success!

Forgive the chaotic pictures,
that is my life...
chaos!

I was putting these together while I was making lunch
and the kids were eating.

While I had 5 minutes of
"downtime".

I purchased 2 candle holders with circle bases. (foreground of picture)
And 2 goblet shaped vases. (behind the candle holders)


I removed the stickers
and
removed all sticker residue
with a cotton ball
and 
rubbing alcohol.

I also ran an alcohol soaked cotton ball
around the rim of the candle holders.

Then I used my new favorite SuperGlue!
Loctite!

This tube is amazing too!!
Super easy to use
and 
it doesn't come out too fast.

Amazing!


I could have used hot glue - 
but I was really concerned that it would not
adhere to glass very well
and would come apart quickly.
I was aware that superglue might
leave a milky appearance
where the glue was,
but I was willing to take that chance,
considering where it would be located
and that it would be really hard to see
when the vases were filled.

I turned the vase upside down on the table,
ran a quick and thin stream of 
superglue on the edge of the candle stick,
eyeballed the center,
and held it in place.



I let it sit for a bit,
then turned it over and it was 
DONE!


Giant wine glass hurricane vase!

I didn't do both of them at once,
because I found out that there was a 
bump on the rim of one of the candlesticks,
preventing it from fitting flush against the base
of the vase.

So a second trip to the Dollar Store was needed.

And here is the result!


We did wind up filling them with sparkly ornaments
(yes Christmas-y, but sparkly too).

These were part of my sister's gift.

I am not sure what she is currently using them for
but I think she liked how they turned out.

I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment