Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Organizing Winter Gear

Yes, winter is technically over.
Yes, I am insanely behind.
Yes, this is worth sharing now...
because I am staying in chronological order.

I might
(but probably won't)
be caught up eventually
so I can actually show you guys 
current stuff...
but like I said...
I doubt it.

With 6 people in a house,
you can imagine there is a lot of winter gear.

We spent 18 months in Texas
and it stayed ever so neatly
packed in a box.

I knew what it was stored in
(a clear plastic bin).
I knew where it used to be stored in 
our last NC home.
But I had NO idea
where it had wound up
in the new house.

NONE!

I hunted
and 
searched
and
hunted
and
search

and 
REFUSED 
to buy more because I knew
we had a TON
and 
didn't need anymore!!

The hubs finally found 
it...
in a box
in the bottom of our closet.
(which is a disaster!)


See why I didn't find it
and
why we didn't need any more!

I HAD to figure out a way
to organize these things
because the box was not going to cut it
and 
my crew
(well my oldest)
is insistent on keeping his stuff his
and not sharing with his younger brother.

Whatever,
I remember what it was like being the oldest.
I will oblige him this on some things...

So I got to work.
Pinteresting
Googling
Surfing...

I finally had a plan...
a CHEAP one too!!

They were going to 
live in the coat closet
downstairs...
but I had to make it work!


This is what I was starting with...

yikes!


I hit good old
Wally World
and 
The Dollar Store.

I purchased a "hanging sweater closet shelf" thing
with 6 "shelves" (imagine that!)
for about $7.
Then I purchased 6 plastic baskets from
the Dollar Store for $6.

So do the math,
This little project cost about $15 with tax!!

(I am guessing the coffee was for right then,
and the wine was for that night...)

I laid out all of the baskets 
and the kids then got to sort out
all of the gear.
Each person got a basket...


They sorted while I cleaned and organized the closet.

Then this is what we wound up with!



Quick,
easy,
cheap!

Right up my alley!!

I have considered making labels for the 
front of the baskets,
but haven't.

Everyone knew EXACTLY
where their winter gear was,
for our rather snowy winter in 
NC this year!
They knew exactly where to return their gear
when they were done with it.
It works like a champ!!!

So now that the winter season is 
officially over.
This whole apparatus can 
be easily transported upstairs into 
the master closet
and stored until next winter.

I will tell you that this is 
NOT 
what the closet currently looks like.
Looks closer to the first picture again...
just with more stuff.

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment