Saturday, May 5, 2012

New Found Love

A couple of days ago,
 I told you guys about those
amazing State Fair Apple Dumplings
we had last week.

Then a few days ago,
my sweet sister over at
McWonderful Life
posted about her latest food discovery

I had all the ingredients and wanted to give it a shot.
But it took me 2 days to actually do it.

First, I did not have the required granola.
So what'd I do?
I made some!

I used this basic recipe but tweaked a bit.

So it turned out more like this:


3 cup rolled oats (all I had left)
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup flax seed
1/4 cup homemade brown sugar
healthy tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup veg oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup water

Combine dry, combine wet.
Mix all together.
Spread in jelly roll pan.
Bake at 400° for 40 min
Stir every 10 min.

DONE!

Then I had planned on those sweet little apple parfait thingies after
dinner Tuesday night, 
but after single-handedly eating
about 2 lbs of crab legs
I was STUFFED
and not in the mood to make dessert!




I decided to give it a shot at lunch the next day
and instead of apple pie filling
I just used the strawberries in our fridge.
R & J thought they had died and
gone to parfait heaven.
R loved, loved, loved
the granola.


They each had 2 parfait cups
and some 
"good for you" nuggets
for lunch!





The kids liked it so much,
I decided to do the apple pie ones for 
dessert that night.



They were not as pretty as my sisters.
but...

OH.MY.STARS!

My version of her recipe:
1 small apple per person
~1/4 sugar
~1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
homemade granola
greek yogurt (1/2 plain, 1/2 vanilla)

Saute apples in cinnamon, sugar & butter,
til desired firmness.
Layer in with yogurt & granola.

ENJOY!

I have not had a dessert that good in 
a LONG TIME.

And dare I say - 
I think it was better than those
State Fair Dumplings!

Hubby said it was a toss up for him!!
And its a tad bit healthier than those dumplings.


No comments:

Post a Comment